Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Dutch Cinnamon Apple Sauce


I bought a big bag of Granny Smith apples the other day and didn't eat many of them. So they've been sitting there and I finally decided to do something with them. Here's my recipe for Dutch Cinnamon apple sauce.

-1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar (sweeten to taste)
- 1/2 tablespoon Dutch Cinnamon powder
- sprinkle ground ginger powder
- 10-15 apples. Your choice - I used 10 Granny Smith (tart) and added 2 Pink Lady apples (sweet).

How-to. Boil one cup water in a large saucepan. Add 1 Tablespoon sugar, let it boil for a minute (it starts to caramelize). Peel and chop your apples and put them in the pot - I peel the apples and add them to the pot as I go, but you can peel and chop your apples before. Add cinnamon and ginger and add more sugar if you like it sweeter. Turn the heat down to medium and let reduce for a half an hour. If your sauce starts to "pop" add a little more water. Let cool and enjoy.

I enjoyed my apple sauce on a crumpet this morning for breakfast, yum yum.

No comments: